To my future students: Congratulations on the big decision to pursue law school. Let’s see if you’re ready… Click more below to visit the reading materials for our upcoming class together. Good luck, Prof. Rizzardi
Churches v. COVID: Freedom of Assembly vs. Freedom from Disease?
Please read the links below.
Oregon Health Authority Containment Strategy https://sharedsystems.dhsoha.state.or.us/DHSForms/Served/le2328.pdf
Oregon Health Authority Testing Strategy https://sharedsystems.dhsoha.state.or.us/DHSForms/Served/le2327.pdf
Order, Circuit Court of Oregon JudgeShirtlickrulingElkhornBaptChurchcase
Motion, Attorney General AttorneyGeneralMotionForStay
Order, Oregon Supreme Court Order-Motion-to-Stay-Elkhorn-v-Brown
State of Florida Executive Order 20-91 https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/orders/2020/EO_20-91-compressed.pdf
Topics for discussion:
- What is a preliminary injunction? a motion? a stay?
- Who possesses legal authority to make emergency decisions?
- Explain the sequence of events and the current situation in Oregon.
- By comparison, explain the situation in Florida.
- Explain, from the perspective of a public health authority, the implications of lifting stay-at-home orders?
- Consider how stay-at-home orders create winners and losers in society, and how the law attempts to reconcile these tensions.